here you will be free
to stretch yourself to your limit,
to find the beach that is yours alone.
but sooner or later
you will be sitting on that beach
wondering what comes next.
dug through my feedly today and was kindly awarded with some slow, magical good vibes from the above two pics and a nice midday zing! from bobby mckenna’s awards page. all in all, a monday well spent in my corner of the internet.
1. i flew to california last weekend to partake in hannah and jay’s crazy awesome ojai wedding getaway. thank goodness for love in the age of social media friendship because the moment i instagrammed i was going to ojai, awesomebriancook immediately hit me up with a bunch of killer reccomendations. top of his list was hip vegan which was both hip and vegan.
2. i need to upgrade my dress-up game stat. my current go to is a black wrap dress + repetto heels + opaque liquid lipstick, but that whole situation is getting super stale. joanna says my power colors are eggplant/emerald and this or this or this might do the trick. ♥ that babe.
3/4. just realized it’s been quite a long time since i was genuinely wow’d by a landscape view.
5. took a selfie in my uncle jeff’s house because he, sherry, ben, zach, and andy are such good people and i wanted to remember how good it felt spending time with them in that space.
6. west coast sun really kicked my fall attitude adjustment into full gear. sup winter. how u?
i just found olivia huynh’s dog envy via my new favorite blog and am now overjoyed there is another human out there who just, like, totally gets what life is like for a dog person (the struggle is so real, guys). ohai olivia! funny story … i TOO want all the dogs. would you like to become friends slash heroes sometime soon?
1. momo sushi shack is a rad little restaurant out in bushwick that serves up absurdly delicious sushi (see party bomb and pork betty for reference) alongside super solid life advice. have a lot of [good] sex and eat a lot of [killer] sushi? well well well, don’t mind if i do.
2. last sunday the weather was so ridiculous outstanding (think crisp air, clear skies, mostly sunny, the works) that jonathan and i decided to long walk from east williamsburg towards manhattan until we reached new york by gehry. sidebar → can we see the muff pleasss?
3. how i managed to not hear about scott’s annual slice out hunger food bank of nyc $1 pizza extravaganza until this year is BEYOND me. i am forever indebted to amy “i have a lot of opinions about pizza” rothberger for bringing this into my life. bless that pie lovin’ babe.
4. i’m really into that time of year when the temp drops and the sky turns into windows 95.
5. jonathan’s disdain for pumpkin flavored shit is giving me liiiiiiiiife. peace love internets.
last week, david asked me to recount the great passive aggressive work fridge post-it 80s hair band lunch meme war of 2013 and, realizing it’s been over a year since this all went down, i figured now was as good time as any to share with you guys too. so, here it goes:
in august 2013 i started buying a week’s worth of coffee / breakfast / lunch / afternoon snacks from trader joe’s on monday mornings and storing everything in the communal work fridge for affordable healthy lunch optimizing purposes throughout the week (something i used to do when i was a paralegal making $0K a year, living in a hell’s kitchen shoebox diorama, and just, like, trying to do me without incurring crippling credit card debt). this time around, i was conscious people might be put off by someone storing more than a day’s worth of food in a communal work fridge and was also worried lesser than folks might steal some of it (peer on peer crime runs rampant at my office) so i wrote “this belongs to amy marsh. trying to save $$$. midtown lunch is a battlefield. xo, amy” in strong black sharpie on the front of my bag. when i went to get my lunch later that day, i noticed someone had slapped a post-it on my bag that said:
so is the real
estate in this
basically, i took the whole thing VERY PERSONALLY (first mistake), got REALLY EMBARRASSED (second mistake), and then got SUPER PISSED (third and final mistake). i felt like this post-it jerk was hiding in plain sight since i had written my full name on the bag and there was no reason he / she couldn’t hit me up in person. after i calmed down, i moved my bag to a less crowded fridge, left the jerky post-it at the scene of the crime, and scribbled the following reply on top:
no name? so lame!
would have been happy
to work something out …
when i went back to the war zone fridge later that day, i saw someone had added a “sponsored by passive aggressive notes” post-it into the mix and, within an hour or so, the whole thing started to snowball as people found they could easily riff on “midtown lunch is a battlefield” by designing these totally awesome 80s hair band lunch memes and taping them to the front of the fridge (think “lunch is a battlefield” by pat benatar, “take my lunch away” by berlin, etc.). new memes went up daily for almost 3 months until [sadly] maintenance had to power wash all the fridges in preparation for thanksgiving and everyone forgot about everything.
TLDR THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.
guess this means i’ll be some sort of french bulldog instagram account aficionado / recluse … brb gettin’ vvv excited about my srsly promising future. oh, wassup dog ppl?
tycho did a sunrise dj set at burning man on 08.29.14 that started at 5:40am and then posted it to soundcloud 5 days later for the rest of us to enjoy anytime we want because unconditional love and premium ice cream and wild and free internet, y’all.
also on the deep, long playlist front, mixtrss has really been flexing their “30 or so tracks similar to this one awesome track”
baby playlist making skills. for those of you into magical internet things that are just plain güüüüd, check out …
tldr … deyallgüüüüd.
i’m a bug
is my breakfast
along with tea yeah
i’m a bug
i got a stinger
so do you, baby
let’s wing it.
1. a few saturday mornings ago, the downtown 6 wasn’t running so i ended up walking from my apt in the east village all the way to bethany’s 9am at lyons den in tribeca. i didn’t mind since there’s not a whole lot that’s quite as wonderful as soho before 9am and as i headed down greene street towards canal, i looked up and noticed this strung out mess of gutter shoes hanging out with some of the best fire escape-age in the city. that day was a good day.
2. jonathan and i rarely hit the same restaurant twice (that’s cheating!), but i think cup & saucer has been given an unspoken pass. not complaining tho, them pancakes don’t play.
3. we also went to coney island over labor day weekend and, despite the muggy overcast-ness, it was one of the top 5 best days i’ve spent in nyc EVERRR. also … modern photo booths are srsly overpriced ($5 for a single strip!), but the result has made me happier than things i’ve spent $600 on so, like, fuck those boots and the suede bag they came in.
4. candied apples and marshmallow pops are nice, but the dark chocolate nonpareils at william’s candy are where it’s at for me, personally. 1/4 lb bag and a nice long walk? yspls.
5. rockaway beach around 4pm the weekend after labor day is one part lovely two parts lonely.
6. in case you were wondering, good vibes vvv welcome round these parts. namaste a while.
if the video footage from a gopro strapped to an elated labrador whose leash has just been removed does not make you even a tiny bit happier than you were right before you started watching it then i’m pretty sure you are a heart-less computer bot and i don’t want anything to do with you unless you have some tips on reducing belly fat.
interviewer: do you ever get bored?
werner herzog: no, never. the word is not even in my vocabulary. i seem to scare and astonish my wife by being capable of standing staring out of the window for days at a time, even when there is nothing happening out there. i may look catatonic, but not so inside. there might be storms raging inside. i think it was wittgenstein who talked about being inside a house and seeing a figure outside strangely flailing about. from inside you cannot see what storms are raging out there, so you find the figure funny.
sunny is a state of mind.
let’s take vitamin d this winter!
the instinct here is to apologize:
for being away
for not posting
for focusing there
for not focusing here
for a busy work week
for a rough personal week
for reading up less
for sleeping in more
for shutting down
for logging off
but, like, for what? for noise? for caveats? for excuses? for sweet sad things we project into our corner of the internet to make ourselves feel a little better about being vulnerable to change and transitioning from one set of patterns to another with less grace and ease and strength than we had hoped for? sounds temping, but i’m going to try something different and resist the knee-jerk apology for once. instead, here are two nice tunes by two nice ladies.
find joy and enjoy.
1. this daschund is puddle of brown butter adorb-ness and someone better mop him up asap.
2. last weekend jonathan and i decided to ditch our very exciting “get dinner somewhere” saturday night plans and busted ass to flushing to catch the last half of the mets-giants game instead. bonus round = that night happened to be fireworks night, so we were handsomely rewarded with a post-game light show + baller top 40 radio dj set. turn down for what, indeed.
3. thanks to double reco’s from both justine and jeremy, i made sure to hit up kensington market when i was in toronto for justine and emmett’s wedding a few weekends ago. man-o-man there’s much to love about that place → good signs, good foods, good dranks, good vibes, good dogs (see pic 1 above) … something for everyone! or … a lot of stuff just for me!
4. meet blake aka blako aka blakezilla aka jwt’s super duper flash dev ninja star. he’s the best of the best and led the way as digital production caravan’d from midtown west to north w-burg for our hotly anticipated fancy dance-y summer outing. such ♥ and group hugs in da club.
5. jonathan and i traded nyc for the city of brotherly love this weekend where joanna played hostess wit da mostess, joelogic played funkmaster witout disaster, and philly played real nice wit a side of water ice. tldr i’ll be holding onto this one for a very long time. #practice
i ♥ dusk
i ♥ dogs
i ♥ internet
i ♥ this guy
i ♥ ny
dear human resources,
tell us how we’re supposed
to breath with no air.
no air, air …
no air, air …
js & am
1. the union square greenmarket gets right at my heartstrings every. damn. time. maybe because it reminds me of my hometown farmer’s market where my mom and vivian ran a black market bagel & schmear booth and smuggled skokie’s finest to middle
2. this year jkupferman’s 28th birthday fell on a saturday so, to celebrate, we gawked at other people’s dogs, ate separate (but equally delicious) sandwiches, wandered around roosevelt island, rode on a vvv cool tramway, walked foooooorever, napped, carbo-loaded, and saw delta spirit … for free. as jonathan would say, “yeppers. yeshhhhh. would eat again.”
3. here’s a suggestion → take the 1 train to 191st street and get lost in fort tryon park.
4. friendly shel silverstein psa → the sidewalk ends around 185th street and the hudson : )
5. so, i used to think clinton street baking company made the best blueberry pancakes in nyc, but i was wrong. so wrong. they’re actually made by the fine folks of cup & saucer in chinatown. hungry? go now because they close at 7pm which is just like seeeeeriously wtf.
6. in case you were wondering which nyc street really brings it, the answer is lafayette.
some people make us feel more human and some people make us feel less human and that is a fact as much as gravity is a fact and maybe there are ways to prove it, but the proof of it matters less that the existence of it—how a stranger can show up and look at you and make you make more sense to yourself and the world, even if that sense is extremely fragile and only comes around occasionally and is prone to wander or fade—what matters is that sometimes sense is made between two people and i don’t know if it’s random or there is any kind of order to it, what combinations of people work the best and why and how do we find these people and how do we keep these people around, and i don’t know if it’s chaos or not chaos but it feels like chaos to me so i suppose it is.
- accepting what you need
- communicating what you want
- dining, drinking, doing anything really solo
- wandering aimlessly with the hopes of getting lost
- hot yoga in the summer
- calendaring the good stuff too
- knowing your neighbors
- taking time to clean your apt
- being the one who can kill the cockroach (upon request)
- texting your parents
- cooking for friends and family
- buying the ticket
- taking the ride
- putting on pants sans any hands
- leaving a note
- googling it
- checking the weather before you get dressed
1. still dreaming about the black rice large plate (eggplant, kale gomae, chili cucumber, bonito, sweet potato mash, grapefruit ginger ponzu, hard boiled egg, avocado) from dimes, a new-ish baby chick food spot on the always baller chinatown les border. decided to end a delightfully unorganized sunday there where i easily snagged an open booth-side window seat, sipped on a fennel-ginger lemonade, dug into the latest cherry bombe magazine, texted my mom to find out what foods she craved while she was pregnant with me, squealed when she replied with her first emoji, and watched the world come down from its 4th of july high. tldr = never better.
2. meet nancy huang, og foodie and luxury w-burg apt hunter extraordinaire. her master bath? en suite. her rooftop grill? gas and communal. her wraparound view? f-ing incredible.
3. in case you were wondering if i still take random photos of grow nyc vegetables … i do.
4. on saturday night i took a selfie with the moon. but, like, nbd. stars → they’re just like us!
5. last weekend i had the supreme pleasure of being my sister’s date to lindsay & michaela’s #bumpercarwedding in dc. long story short, those ladies put the cool in realfuckingcool.
miserable, darling, as usual.
this some good shit.
love dat snaptrack, ryn.
1. toby’s estate is killing it in hefty dogs with major personality waiting for their owners to get coffee so he/she can take them on a walk good times. this guy’s nombre? hombre, obviously.
2/3. i spent last saturday with wifflegif and company picking strawberries at patty’s berries and bunches in mattituck (population 4219 … in case anyone was wondering). i rarely make weekend plans outside of my 263 block radius, so hitting the open road (driving! in zipcars! with boys!) for some wholesome day tripping was a welcomed change of pace. big ups to tinabeans for cruise directing. her strawberry outfit was the envy of us all. dat hat, yo. srsly.
4. apologies for getting so lj with my last post. sometimes it’s just a hot, tired, semi-sad tues wherein you feel a lot of feels and post about them on the internet. that’s all. red flags down.
5. i found a way to work an early morning stroll through tompkins sq park and a pit spot at ninth street on 10th street into my friday therapy / work commute. so, yea. fridays? still good.
6. that’s wifflegif. he likes: obscure bodega beverages, long walks, animated gifs, his iphone, bonchon chicken, making fun and useful things for people to play with, fat cat, smart effortless music discovery, tri-blend concert tees, obeying crosswalk signs, emojis, me.
a little bummed and uninspired, less confident and clear than i’m used to. i’m stuck in my head and waiting for a sign instead of printing my own. at least i don’t need people telling me you’re okay, it’s okay, we’re okay. heaviness happens, lightness returns. i just really want to get there already (probably why i walk so fucking fast). granted, not updating this thing isn’t helping so that’s one shift i can make. did make.
what you’re doing
1...skies like this make me really miss my bike, specifically that one time molly, candice, and i rode out to rockaway park and sunnied ourselves on candice’s pepto pink beach sheet.
2...lately i’ve been trying to be less judgmental slash put down the haterade and relaaaaaaax. for example, i always assumed toby’s estate was too big, too beautiful, too conveniently located to have both good coffee and reliable wi-fi. turns out i was wrong (i.e. hoorayness).
3...got caught in a quickie rainstorm on saturday afternoon while shopping for a little something something (new top? new dress? new shoes? idk sooooooomething) and popped into walter foods to dry off / wait it out / steal an umbrella / have foods. i’m really glad i did because now i can highly recommend the walter breakfast with soft scrambled eggs and bacon (obvs).
4...omg guys bulldog on a skateboard bulldog on a skateboard bulldog on a skateboard.
5/6...on sunday, allie and i went on a lady date whereby i convinced her to take the ferry to governor’s island to check out hammock grove. brb while i look up “worth it” on wikipedia.
7...just a friendly reminder to never move above 14th street … ever.
cleaning up my feedly
and decided to donate
some misc links & thangs
to my local internet.
hello, pre-holiday short week.
bracing myself for the vvv busy.
hoping some answers will follow.
fill what’s empty.
empty what’s full.
scratch where it itches.
friend: i’m having some feelings about this. full disclosure my friend wrote it. i think it’s smart and sassy, but i’m still having trouble assigning a value judgment on basic.
me: pls hold while i read this.
me: i already have my defenses up.
friend: i’m just not sure how i feel about the idea that i might have basic tendencies.
me: according to this article, i am the carrie b of basic b’s. a lil bit of all these except maybe the ues one which i’m pretty sure means i am none of them which also means the idea of having basic tendencies is bunk to me. i have routines and interests, but i don’t have tendencies. just because i like soulcycle and hot yoga doesn’t mean i can’t quote mcluhan and read code.
friend: truth. i can quote mcclanahan, if not mcluhan.